oyster card holder v2.0 (more pocketses!)

After having done it once, and seeing that the two pockets I’d made weren’t enough for the cards I was starting to need to carry (driver’s license, M & S card, oyster card, credit card, some cash and a few business cards), I decided to make a second version with more pockets. I’d especially liked the diagonal pocket, so I made two of them.

I cut out the pieces carefully, even though I didn’t bother measuring them.


I then pinned the edges of the pockets so I could get nice angles on them.


This side will have one full-length pocket in which I will hide the oyster. See it never needs to be removed to be used, it can work through the oyster card holder’s fabric, which means I can put it in the nearest-to-the-outside pocket, and hide it completely from view quite safely.


After stitching all around the flipped “innards” of the holder, I cut the edges closer to the seam with crimping scissors. This means that when I flip it inside-out, the edges will be less poofy. (what do you mean, “poofy” isn’t a technical term?)


Ta daaaa!

As I was making it, I decided to add a strap. I cut a length of fabric about 5cm wide in the diagonal of the fabric to make sure it will have some extra stretch, and stitched it inside-out along the long edge. This made for a tube, which I trimmed close to the seam and flipped inside-out to get a simple strap. I then anchored the strap between the “innards” (green pockets of the inside) and the blue rip-stop canvas outer, and made sure it stayed put when I stitched around the edge.


This is the oyster card holder v2.0 in use.





Emerald dress is done!

It’s done!!


The emerald green dress is done. It has a very large and deep collar, a small waist, and a very very large skirt. Oh. And pockets. Dresses with room in them should always have pockets. Modern dressmakers always forget that.


I wore it on Saturday when my boyfriend took me out on a date night. And I felt like a princess! It was lovely.

Also, I discovered that a belt I had bought at london fashion weekend matched it flawlessly. And that a pair of huge chandelier earrings I grabbed on impulse before Xmas from H&M also match it beautifully. I’m one very happy seamstress right now.


And yes, I am already plotting the next dress. Of course.

Strange post holiday energy

Somehow I managed to come back from my holidays with a good amount of energy. Must be the sun and probably the vitamin B supplements i’m taking :)in any case, I finally managed to do some sewing again!!

I’ve basted in the zipper in the back. Now just need to stitch it in by hand with invisible stitches.


Yo can see double sided invisible stitches on the collar…


Or, you know…. Not see them 🙂

Crazy geo-print dress

Geometic print dressHurrah! After a bit of hand-sewing last night, I have firmly attached the collars facing, and it now looks properly finished.

Ready to insert the zip in the back with basting. I may take the dress with me to Greece (on holiday next week) in order to do all the other hand-sewing finishing touches (including hemming, with mom’s help). Not sure I’ll bring it, but it’s a good idea to attach the zip with basting first, baste the back of the skirt, and try on the dress properly before hand-sewing the zip into place for real. Yes, I hand-sew zippers into my dresses. Despite having a zipper foot, I do not trust it. And hand-sewing gives me much more control and detailing, allowing me to truly put in an invisible zipper!

The step either right after or right before (or at the same time) as the zipper, shall be to sew in a nice ribbon on the inside of the dress where the waist is. It will act as an invisible belt, keeping the dress nicely in place around my waist. This will have to be very precise, and well-coordinated with the zip, as that’s what will effectively keep the ribbon pulled tightly around me. Tricky. But one of my better ideas, as I would rather wear the dress without a belt, but can see that it would benefit from having one. Hence the idea of the hidden ribbon.

I always get very excited when it’s zipper time. Mostly because i’ve messed up my fair share of zippers. And also because once that is in, you get to try on the dress and it’s almost as if it is complete!! Weird that I’m _this_ jumpy, given that this is more of a winter dress, but YEY!!

All I’d have left post-ribbon-and-zipper is the hem (long-winded but straightforward) and the cuffs. Am considering putting in actual buttonholes and a bit of a flat cuff, to make for a tighter sleeve. I shall check my reference books and see if I can, as I’ve already cut a regular sleeve. Although, perhaps an alternative of loops and buttons (to only narrow the sleeve on the forearm) will be sufficient. We shall see!!