My first post!

It feels like ripping the packaging off a bright red “My first sony” stereo some 20 years ago! I’ve got a brand-spanking new blog! And it’s so exciting! I’m sure you can tell just by counting the number of exclamation marks…

So I’m starting this blog because I’ve always liked to write, and given some recent developments in my life which started a little over a year ago when I found a 1919 Singer sewing machine on ebay. And bought it!

Singer treadle sewing maching from 1919

Singer treadle sewing maching from 1919 (0)

That’s it on the right, here. After getting my hands on it, I bought a few patterns online, and started making things again. Goodness it had been a while!

That first dress was a bit of a mess, I must admit. I’ve worn it once and I don’t think I’ll be wearing it again. It was an experiment, and even though it didn’t go awry, it wasn’t a huge success either.

30th Birthday dress

30th Birthday dress

The second dress I made was for my 30th Birthday. (See pic) That one was both easier and tougher to make. For a change, the fabric had a pattern, and I had to put a lining in as well, which I’d never done before.

Strangely, it came out incredibly well (despite some zig-zagging incidents with the zipper) and I got loads of compliments that night. It was a moire silky base with bright teal flowers embroidered on it. Looovely. And I made the collar and belt from a satin aqua fabric instead of making them from the same fabric as the dress. It really worked well! Admittedly, that particular fabric was very much out of my comfort zone, as I never wear prints, or incredibly bright colours. So this was a very tricky experiment. Thankfully, it worked out brilliantly!

Medieval dress

Medieval dress

The third dress I made was from a medieval pattern. It’s the kind of princess dress you dream of as a child, and I made it for myself. The outer fabric was a light khaki linen mix, and the lining a beautiful dusty rose satin. I paid nearly £60 for the materials (!!) as it required nearly 7 metres of fabric. You have no idea how full that skirt is. None. It barely fits into my wardrobe. And I am not kidding. This is not something you can make easily or quickly. It’s fiddly, and the length of the seams emptied 2 spools of thread. I was astonished at how long it just took to assemble. Definitely worth the effort, but *whew* I’m glad it’s done!

I absolutely adore it, and can’t wait to wear it again and again and again. I’d happily join a LARPing society or some other interest group just so I can get to wear it more often. Is that silly, or what?

Jersey dress

Jersey dress (No.4b)

After that, well, the summer came. So I made a navy blue tube dress out of cotton jersey to wear when the weather improved (dress No.4a). There weren’t any compliments from this one, but it’s the easiest thing to make (I’ll be posting a tutorial later) and I got a _lot_ of wear out of it! It’s the most comfortable thing ever, and it can be worn even in the winter, with a shirt on top or a long-sleeved top inside it. Add one of those of-the-moment Obi belts, and voila! Outfit 🙂

Later on I copied it in a lighter still light khaki jersey (see pic No.4b) and instead of making it strapless, I put the fabric up and joined it at the shoulders for one of these (currently very fashionable) straight necklines. I wore it with a white embroidered belt and decorated white sandals. Felt very pretty wearing it!

Muslin 3-tiered skirt

Muslin 3-tiered skirt

By that time, serious summer had kicked in. Well, not in the UK, but in the rest of the world… And as we were going away, I made an ulta-lightweight skirt to wear on a tropical holiday (because it would be insanely warm, and I needed something to ward off the mosquitos!) (Skirt No.1, confection No.5).

This one was incredibly easy to make, as it took only 3 strips of fabric. The only challenge was to spread the fabric of the longer strip evenly along the shorter strip I was attaching it to. That and the fact that the muslin was so incredibly see-through, that I had to double-up the first tier to partially shield my undies from the public eye. The result was brilliant, comfy, and easy to wash and wear. (See pic) So I’m very happy. I’ll be posting short instructions for it later on as I think it’s so easy and useful to make.

Well, these are my first 5 things. That’s enough for the first post. i’ve made more, and have more pictures, but I’ll be posting those later on after I’ve had a chance to put together a couple of tutorials for my favourite (read easiest) pieces.